Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Negative Action

Today I want to talk about one of my favorite topics affirmative action. When are the extra rights going to end. Minorities have achieved just about every milestone you can think of. I know this because the media has to make a public declaration every time it happens. Take for example the nominee for the job of Administrator of NASA, Gen. Charles Bolden. All I heard for a week was Gen. Bolden will be the first African American to hold the position........and. Do you really think Gen. Bolden is sitting around thinking wow I can't believe I'm African American and I'm gonna be the Administrator of NASA.......I think not, he's probably thinking man I've worked my ass off for years and now it's paying dividends. If I were a minority I would find this insulting it's almost as if they're saying, can you believe "one of them" made it so far. I think the affirmative action order has run it's course, it's obsolete. affirmative action is a redundant piece of legislation. Title VII of the Civil Rights Act guarantees you the right to non-discrimanotory employment.

Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964
The following is the text of Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 (Pub. L. 88-352) (Title VII), as amended, as it appears in volume 42 of the United States Code, beginning at section 2000e. Title VII prohibits employment discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex and national origin. The Civil Rights Act of 1991 (Pub. L. 102-166) (CRA) and the Lily Ledbetter Fair Pay Act of 2009 (Pub. L. 111-2) amend several sections of Title VII. In addition, section 102 of the CRA amends the Revised Statutes by adding a new section following section 1977 (42 U.S.C. 1981), to provide for the recovery of compensatory and punitive damages in cases of intentional violations of Title VII, the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, and section 501 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973

The only thing affirmative action does is set quotas for the hiring of minorities. Get serious people this isn't 1960 there are no segregated water fountains, bathrooms, or schools. We all have access to the same educational opportunities, and don't give me the financial disparity crap, I grew up poor and I'm as white as fresh snow. I'm just now getting to go to college now that my children are grown. My parents couldn't afford to send me to college so I joined the military. When I got out I took a low paying industrial job and worked my way up to a management position, it took about ten years and nobody gave me anything. I don't blame anyone for this that's just how the world works. Affirmative action creates situations like the one we have in New Haven Conn. where firefighters are being promoted to positions that they are not the most qualified for, because they couldn't be bothered with studying for a test. This twisted mentality starts early on with people now teaching their children that there are no winners and losers you just have to participate. They have "competitions" where everyone gets an award just for showing up. What does this teach? That you only have to do the bare minimum, there's no motivation to excel. What ever happened to personal responsibility? You are responsible for your successes and failures, not the world. I say it's time to repeal the affirmative action order. To show favortism to any group be it minority or majority is to diminish the rights of the other.

The Stranger

No comments:

Post a Comment